Thursday, June 5, 2008

Thankful Thursday?

You see it on Christian blogs and discussions boards everywhere! The word "Thankful" just seems to go with Thursday. But what do I have to be thankful about?

Someone turned up the heat and humidity outside! I've had to dig and study today to prepare for my Bible Study lesson tonight after being away for five weeks. I can't figure out what to make for supper that would be different than the same hold hum-drum food we always eat. The vacuum cleaner winks at me when I see it as if to remind me it hasn't been used recently. The picture window in the family room has doggie-nose prints all over it but I can hardly get myself to clean it since it will look the same again by tomorrow! Well, at least the laundry is basically caught up and my husband's shirts are ironed … there's something to be thankful for, for sure!

Thankful Thursday? Let me give it another try … what do I have to be thankful about?

My heart is filled with joy – oh how I love the Lord and being an Ambassador for His Kingdom!

I'm enjoying my time in the house today with the air conditioning cranked up and the humidity gradually leaving the house – so incredibly thankful I don't live in India where temperatures have been above 51 degrees (that's equivalent to about 129 degrees for us)!

Time in the Word today stirred my heart in some very personal ways – don't you just love how the Spirit of God shines His Holy flashlight on certain passages that seem to just jump off the page at you?

And, look what I found in the pantry … something new, something different, and something I think Ron will enjoy when he gets home from work. Now, that's something to be thankful for!

The vacuum? Well, perhaps IT should be thankful I'm giving it another day of rest – that makes me happy and very thankful that I'm blessed to have floors that get dirty. I've been in homes with dirt floors, no glass in the window (wonder what Gracie would do without the picture window???), no tables to eat on, no plates or silverware … oh, yes! I'm thankful!

And, do you know what it makes me feel like knowing my laundry is "basically" caught up? You guessed it – I'm so thankful we have clothes to wear, a washing machine to clean them with, and an iron to make them look crisp and fresh. These things we take for granted far too often … remember, I've been there and seen it with my own eyes.

So, yes, Thursday is a day to be Thankful. But, then so are Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday!

First Thessalonians 5:16-18 says, "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

Hmmm… I wonder if Paul wrote that on Thursday!


 

© 2008 Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

No comments: