Thursday, June 26, 2008

Guard Your Mouth

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." (Ephesians 4:29)

Have you ever stopped to listen to what comes out of your mouth and suddenly feel ashamed for the words you've uttered? Most of us have and regret ever opening our mouth!

Our words minister to those who hear them ... they either minister grace or they cause people to turn away hurt, dejected and may even bear the scars from our words for an entire life. Words, once they are released from our lips travel at the speed of sound; nothing can be done to reverse their affect once they've been spoken. Your words bear witness of what is truly in your heart: "Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh" (Matt. 12:34)

Next time you open your mouth to react to something, think twice and minister grace! Great will be your reward. You may never know the impact your gracious response will have on the person with whom you're talking!

Father, help me by putting a guard over my mouth to speak those things which only minister grace to the hearer. Help me remember that as a representative of my Lord, Jesus Christ, that it is my obligation to point everyone to Him in everything I do, everything I say, and everywhere I go. Help me minister grace to all I come in contact with! Amen!

"Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips." (Psalm 141:3)

© 2008 Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

No comments: