Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Not For Any Other Reason …

Do you ever sit back and wonder why you do what you do, how you got yourself into whatever it is you're going, etc? I sure do. It's like I continually examine my motives – is what I'm going producing fruit fit for the King, or am I trying to prove something to myself or those who know me, or am I simply fulfilling a calling and humbly accepting the assignment?

This morning I woke up early and just laid in bed talking to the Lord and considering my life at this point, asking these very same questions. I want to make sure my heart is right. I want to be sure my motives are pure. And, most of all, I want to be sure all my labor is pleasing to the Lord and bringing Him glory.

But, then, if you're like me, after you begin to contemplate these things, the enemy comes in with his garbage to discourage, to stop, and to hinder the work God is doing through you. Well, at least that's the way he does me! LOL And, I'm pretty sure I'm not a unique case! So, I do my best to push those accusations out of my head and focus on honoring God with my thoughts.

I finally lay in bed long enough this morning and got up. I came out to the family room, got situated in the recliner, opened my laptop, and watched my email filter in. The verse for today sent to my inbox each day seemed to be no coincidence: "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men." (Colossians 3:23)

Yep! That's the motive of my heart. It's what keeps me moving. It is the reason I live and breathe and having my being … to work for the Lord. I don't need man's approval because I've already got the approval of the One who matters most. He's accepted me in the beloved, washed me whiter than snow, raised me up and set my feet on a Firm Foundation, and filled me with His precious Holy Spirit.

What an honor to work for the King! There is no greater calling, no more important assignment … no honor greater than serving the King of all kings and the Lord of all lords, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, the Creator of the universe, the Loving Shepherd of my soul! Wow! What a privilege to serve … what a privilege to give my energy and talent and ability to the Ancient of Days, the One who sits on the throne, the Holy One of Israel – my Redeemer and Lord!

Not for any other reason …

© 2008 Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

No comments: