Tuesday, May 27, 2008

His Sweet Fragrance

"I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys." (Song of Solomon 2:1)

The Rose of Sharon and Lily of the Valleys . . . to remind us of the beauty and sweetness we find in His relationship with us. The rose . . . fragrance sweeter than honey, chief of flowers. The lily . . . preferred by our Christ as clothing even above that of Solomon in all his glory.

Sharon is probably where the best roses grew and in most plenty . . . some have termed it the "rose of the field" depicting the gospel of salvation for all . . . a common salvation, that whosoever will may come and gather the rose-buds of privileges, comforts, sweetness, fragrance, that grow in the covenant of grace.

He is not a show rose, not one to be locked up in a garden, but one that all may come and find comfort in Him.

He is a lily for the whiteness, and a lily of the valleys for sweetness . . . for when we are walking through the valley of the shadow of death, His fragrance will linger and lead us to His protection, comfort and strength.

He is the lily of the valleys, or low places, in His humiliation and "crushing" experienced on the cross of Calvary.

As you walk through your valleys (notice the plural . . . we're promised there will be more than one), take heed of His fragrance . . . it will be there! As you hit the low points in your life, remember that He is a rose that has been bruised and crushed and His fragrance is become sweeter and stronger . . . look for Him there also! In the darkest of days and the longest of nights, you will find Him . . . The fragrance of His love will lead you through and remind you that He is in your midst regardless of where you are. He loves you, He yearns for you, He's bidding you to come into His chamber where He can lavish His love upon you . . . from now throughout eternity!

Dearest Lord, I am overwhelmed at the thought of your awesome love toward me . . . how you have presented Yourself to me as the lover of my soul! I can almost hear You say, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." (Song of Solomon 2:10) Lord, I will follow you wherever You lead . . . I will respond to Your passion for me with an ever-growing passion for You! May my heart melt at Your call . . . may my love for You draw me closer to You than ever before. Lord, I love you . . . and I will stop and seek out Your sweet fragrance in the flourishing fields as well as the dark valleys, and in whatever circumstance or situation I find myself I will know beyond a shadow of doubt that You, my precious Lord, have not left me but rather are in my midst. Amen!

"I will be as the dew unto Israel: he shall grow as the lily, and cast forth his roots as Lebanon. His branches shall spread, and his beauty shall be as the olive tree, and his smell as Lebanon." (Hosea 14:5-6)

© 2008 Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

No comments: