Monday, September 28, 2009

Unfathomable Mercy

David is a wonderful example of God's mercy which was continually displayed throughout his life. When he deserved judgment, mercy was granted; when he deserved punishment, mercy was applied. As a matter of fact, David was so assured of God's eternal mercy that he could boldly proclaim himself as numbered in the ranks of the righteous . . . his sins had been thoroughly purged and cleansed.

"Open to me the gates of righteousness: I will go into them, and I will praise the LORD: This gate of the LORD, into which the righteous shall enter." (Psalm 118:19-20)

It is so easy to allow our past to keep us from the presence of the Lord. I can think of so many things that I've done in my past which should keep me from entering into His presence and worshipping at His feet. But, it's His mercy. It's His grace. It's His blood that makes me righteous in His eyes.

If we were honest with ourselves, we would have to admit to things that seem to "surface" while praying or worshipping in His presence. These "things" are a trap set by the enemy to rob the Father of our worship. If he can keep us concentrating on how bad we are, we'll never be able to truly worship Him for how magnificent He is.

David's testimony of God's grace is our key to victory over the snare of the enemy. Would that we all could grasp His understanding of God's unfailing love and tender mercy. It goes deeper than we can comprehend. His mercy reaches farther than we are aware. Fathomless. Boundless. Eternal.

Take some time today to consider the depth of God's undeserved and incomprehensible mercy. Walk in freedom through His gates and into His holy presence where we will find fullness of joy.

Lord, help me to comprehend the depths of your merciful love toward me so I can unashamedly enter Your gates with thanksgiving in my heart for all you have done for me. Help me to remember when my thoughts return back to my past that You were there in my past, You are here in my present, and You will be with me in through my tomorrows. And, yet, You have accepted me and forgiven me . . . thoroughly. Remind me, dear Lord, that my life (including my past, present and future) is not about me in any way; it's about You. In Your precious, holy name, amen!

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

No comments: