Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Decisions! Decisions!

We've all said it in various contexts: "People haven't changed a bit!" Let's look at a memorable day in the life of Christ. The crowds were hailing Him as King …

"And the multitudes that went before, and that followed, cried, saying, Hosanna to the Son of David: Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord; Hosanna in the highest." (Matthew 21:9)

But, not many days later, the same multitudes were crying, "Crucify Him!" Alas, people haven't changed a bit.

Have you ever stopped to think about what you would have done under the same circumstances? You've witnessed miracles on one hand; you've heard the angry accusations on the other. You've sat under His teaching; you've also heard him called a heretic. You've witnessed changed lives; you've seen the reactions of the religious leaders.

There weren't many who chose to go against the flow; most followed the crowds. They followed in hailing Him as King one day. Soon afterward, however, they followed the crowd crying, "Crucify Him!"

The time may come in the not too distant future where we will be faced with similar decisions. Will we follow the crowd or will we stay true to the King of kings and Lord of lords? Will we stand for what we know is truth, or will we find our voices drowning in the sea of voices rejecting truth? Will we be like Peter and deny that we ever knew Him, or will we stand with the few who weren't afraid to admit they followed Him?

These are hard questions that we must be prepared to answer. If we don't know what we would do, NOW is the time to make up our minds. Now is NOT the time to ride the fence.

We must be like Paul when he said, "I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I've committed unto Him against that day." (2 Timothy 1:12)

Father, I don't want to follow along with the crowd to avoid being singled out because of my faith. Lord, I want to stand up for You, whether in front of my co-workers, my family, my friends, my neighbors, the government . . . whomever. Lord, I love You and I'm committed to You. Give me strength to stand, O Lord, in the face of all creation and cry, "Hosanna, blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest!" Amen.

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

No comments: