Monday, September 7, 2009

Outlandish Promises

Has God ever spoken a promise to your heart that seemed outlandish? Have you ever read promises of God in His Word and thought, "that works for them but it would never work for me"? I think if we're honest we've all dealt with feelings like this from time to time.

Abraham had received a promise from God, one that seemed like it would never or COULD never be fulfilled as he and his wife were both well up in years.

That which God promises, God performs. Unlike most of us, God always comes through. Most promises, however, are conditional upon response from us. Most of His promises are: "If you will . . . then I will." In other words, we have to align ourselves with the will and purposes of God in order to receive all that He has promised to us.

Abraham had a word from the Lord. A living rhema word from the Lord. A promise. A vision from God. But even more than that, Abraham had an established relationship with the Lord. He knew God's voice. He knew God.

"And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise." (Hebrews 6:15)

We would all like to have the faith of Abraham. We don't have to think the faith of Abraham is unattainable. We CAN have it.

A fulfilling Christian life cannot be attained if we neglect to read and study His Word. His Word should take a place of priority in our lives. Many times believers find themselves praying and doing all manner of good works, but they neglect to fellowship with Him in His Word. The Word is alive; it is His heartbeat, it is the image of Himself for us. Without His Word, we have no clue of the glorious, majestic, mighty God that we serve. Faith is built in His Word and without faith, it is impossible to please Him.

If we endure, if we have patience we will obtain that which He has promised. Hallelujah!

Father, help me to be more patient, enduring until I see the manifestation of Your promises in my life. Lord, I want to know Your voice. I want to walk in Your will for my life. I want to have an Abraham-type relationship with You. Father, help me never to neglect Your Word; my faith continually needs to be built up. Lord, I love you. May my life be pleasing to You, amen!

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved


 

No comments: