Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Take Control!

"Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name." (Psalm 103:1)

Sometimes our emotions are far from being responsive to God in praise. But the Psalmist makes it very clear that we do have control over our emotions, that we can deliberately turn our despair into praise and bless the Lord.

David asked himself a question, "Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance." (Psalm 42:5) If you can inquire about your soul's disquieted state, it would seem to indicate that you could change it by an act of your will.  For the most part, we are not victims of our emotions; our emotions are subject to us.  They are a choice.

Emotions in and of themselves are not bad; however, they can be a tool in the hand of the enemy to hide the victory we have in Christ and to distract us from enjoying the benefits of being joint heirs with Him, accepted in the beloved.

The next time you are feeling low, defeated, or less than the victorious Christian you are, take control of your emotions and begin to bless the Lord by letting praise pour forth from your lips.  Deny yourself the luxury of focusing on the negative that surrounds you and touches your life. Change your focus and your thoughts toward the goodness of God and all He has done for you. Make a conscious effort to think on that which is full of truth, that which is honest and just and pure. Think on things that are lovely and of a good report. And, if there be anything worthy of praise . . . think on these things. (Philippians 4:8) Soon you'll find yourself, and all that is within you, caught up in praising Him for He is Holy, Righteous, and Worthy of all our praise.

Use your emotions for His glory and soon you will ask yourself, "Why were you so disquieted?"

Your hope is anchored in God, your joy is complete, and blessing the Lord with all that is within you is your response.

Father, Your name is Holy. Your name is Wonderful. Your name is Worthy to be praised. When my soul is disquieted, when I'm overwhelmed with the world and its problems, help me to break forth into praise and adoration of the One whom I love more than anything . . . Jesus my Lord and my Saviour  . . . the Holy, Righteous, Anointed One. Amen.

"I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth." (Psalm 34:1)

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

No comments: