Friday, February 20, 2009

The Fulfilled Woman - L'chayim!


What good will it do someone if he gains the whole world but forfeits his life? Or, what can a person give in exchange for his life? ~ Matthew 16:26


He enjoys nothing—who lacks communion with Christ.  He lacks nothing—who enjoys communion with Christ. ~ Thomas Brooks “Heaven on Earth” 1667

The old Puritan pastor had it right, didn't he.  We easily forget in the comfort of our Christian lives.  We do the right things and say the right words but as time passes, we realize we are not actually enjoying life, are we? Where’s the joy?  Where’s the peace?  Where’s the love?  

What was Jacob lacking as he struggled ‘til the break of dawn with the Angel of the LORD?  What had pervaded his spirit?  

Afterall, Jacob was a man of great wealth.  He had acquired massive amounts of earthly treasure.  Why then, was he begging the Pre-incarnate Mashiach to bless him even further...so much so that he would not let go of Him until He met Jacob’s request?  Have you given that much thought?

Do you suppose as this Theophany unfolded, Jesus had in mind the very statement He would soon speak in Matthew 16:26 (our Scripture intro above)?  Perhaps His thoughts went something like this...  

What good has all this earthly treasure brought to your inner man...why, Jacob you still lack something glorious on the inside that only I AM able to impart to you!  And I long to do so.  However, you are unable to receive all the good I have for you in this life as you continue to cling so tightly to earthly treasures that cannot satisfy!  The treasures I have for you cannot be attained from external materials, but rather it comes from the Heavens where My Throne rests.  It is perfect contentment, tranquility, life, soul-harmony, sound-mind, power, love, welfare, comfort, integrity, success, well-being, safety, wholeness...this is what I offer - What I am leaving with you is shalom -- I am giving you MY shalom. I don't give the way the world gives. Don't let yourselves be upset or frightened!” (John 14:27)  

No wonder Jacob wouldn’t let go!

Isn’t this life on earth quite specious as we work hard to acquire so many earthly goods only to find that the LORD has sent leanness into our souls (Psalm 106:15) as we treasured things above Christ?  Solomon’s heart was plagued with this meaningless of life apart from God’s wisdom, love and ways in the book of Ecclesiastes.  Nothing new under the sun, is there?

If your treasure is in earthly things, there your (lean) heart will be.  And in this case, skinny ain't good!  “No good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly’ implies that our faithful Father does withhold some good (contentment) from those who make anything else except Christ their treasure.  

I am so thankful that our LORD loves you and me so much that He refuses to allow us to settle for futile nothingness that earthly treasures ultimately bring when our hope rests in them.  Only in clinging to Christ are we richly blessed as with marrow and fatness.  

L’chayim! or To Life! is a common toast among Jewish Believers.  The proper response is... 

L’chayim tovim ul’shalom!  

...To a good life and to peace!

1 A Psalm of David when he was in the wilderness of Judah. O God, You are my God; Early will I seek You; My soul thirsts for You; My flesh longs for You In a dry and thirsty land Where there is no water. 2 So I have looked for You in the sanctuary, To see Your power and Your glory.  3 Because Your lovingkindness is better than life, My lips shall praise You. 4 Thus I will bless You while I live; I will lift up my hands in Your name. 5 My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness, And my mouth shall praise You with joyful lips. 

~ Psalm 63:1-5


Shalom aleichem b'Shem YESHUA Adoneinu!
(Shalom be upon you in the Name of Jesus, our LORD)
Carmen Schroeder, Women of the Word

1 comment:

Jan Ross said...

May we learn to cleave to the Lord like Jacob and NEVER let go until we encounter Him in the fullness of His presence and blessing! There is nothing else that can satisfy ... nothing beside Him!

Great word, Carmen ... thank you!

L'chayim tovim ul'shalom!