Thursday, February 5, 2009

Are You Hungry?

"Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." (Matthew 5:6)

Righteousness . . . to bear the image of God, to be made the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus, to have the whole man renewed in righteousness so as to become a new man; to have an unparalleled interest in Christ and the promises of God. This is righteousness!

We must truly desire these things, we must "hunger and thirst" after them as one who is hungry craves food and drink, as one who cannot be satisfied with anything else. We must have an attitude that cries, "Please give this to me or else I will die!"

Hunger and thirst are appetites. We consume what we need for the moment, but yet before long we experience the same "emptiness" which drove us to hunger and thirst initially. We must stay filled with His righteousness, continually drinking from the Well to replenish and be refilled, again and again and again.

Those who "hunger and thirst" will do labor for their supply. This indicates they will not only desire the spiritual blessings, but take pains to receive them.

Are you hungry and thirsty? Are you replenishing your supply by running to the Source for meet and drink? Are you continually drinking from the Well to be refilled again and again and again?

Test your "hunger" and "thirst" levels. If you do not have an appetite craving His righteousness, His presence, His blessings, then you need to run to the Rock of your Salvation and renew your commitment to Him today, asking that He fill you with a "hunger" and "thirst" for Righteousness. Then you will be filled! What a promise! What a provision! What a Lord!

Father, I do "hunger" and "thirst" for your righteousness. I see myself as in a dry land where my thirst is yearning to be quenched and my hunger craving to be filled with Your righteousness. Father, forgive me for not seeking after you with a hungry heart and help me to see that You are the only One who can fill My heart to overflowing with your blessings. Father, fill me up to overflowing. Amen!

"Open to me the gates of righteousness: I will go into them, and I will praise the LORD" (Psalm 118:19)

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

No comments: