Monday, November 17, 2008

Show Mercy!

"Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy."  (Matthew 5:7)

Merciful . . . compassionate . . . emotionally and spiritually moved to some way help alleviate the pain and misfortune of others; a by-product of love, the kind of love that comes from knowing God and being transformed into His likeness and image.

Being merciful toward others will cause mercy to be returned to you.  I've seen this first-hand almost daily since living with chronic pain for the past several years . . . reaching out and touching others with similar afflictions opens the door for my life to be touched by them.  It's a simple law of love . . . a two-way street!  "Give and it shall be given unto you . . . "  Our Father has set a principle in motion that is anchored in the essence of Who He is according to 1 John 4:16 " . . . God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him." 

Make it a habit to allow mercy and compassion to flow freely toward those who suffer or are less fortunate in any way.  Don't turn your back on opportunities to reach out with lovingkindness toward others.  The day may come (and for many has already) where you will need others to show that mercy, compassion and love toward you, especially when you are dealing with major disappointments, chronic pain or illness, or life's hard circumstances.  It's a promise that every one of us will need to stand on at one time or another in our lives -- "Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy."  Amen!

Father, I thank You, Lord, for Your promises that are true . . . "yes and amen!"  Lord, all too often I overlook those needing a gentle touch, a loving smile, a warm embrace, an encouraging word . . . all too often I am so caught up in my own needs and desires that I fail to look at the pain around me.  Father, open my eyes so I can see the needs . . . give me a heart of compassion to reach out; help me to be merciful to others in their time of need!  And, Father, help me to plant the seeds of mercy everywhere so that when the day comes that I am in need, I, too, will be blessed with the gentle touch, the loving smile, the warm embrace, and the encouraging word. Let me be a servant to all, Father, to bring glory to You . . . help me to be Your arms outstretch to those in need, in complete obedience to Your Word.  Let Your love flow through this Your servant . . . in Jesus' name, Amen!

"Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again."  (Luke 6:38)

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

No comments: