Friday, November 7, 2008

Satisfaction at the Master’s Table

"…If only we had meat to eat … we never see anything but this manna!" (Num 11:4-6)

I can't tell you how this verse ministered to me! Sometimes I read something many, many times and then one day it jumps out at me with understanding. "If only we had meat to eat … we never see anything but this manna!"

Granted, "man does not live by bread alone," (Luke 4:4). We need more than the physical food in order to survive; we need "every word that proceeds from the mouth of God" (Matthew 4:4). The Israelites were tired of bread – tired of the same thing. They seemed to forget that the bread was nourishing and met every physical need they had. But it wasn't enough.

I'm sure you've heard people grumble: "The only thing the Pastor preaches is salvation!" or, "We've been hearing about transformation for months now, we need something new!" or, "All he preaches about is forgiveness!"

Perhaps you've been one of them who have grown dissatisfied with the "manna" that you have been "eating" and you want more. The American church is particularly bad about this – dissatisfaction with the Word being preached, always wanting something different. Always craving … "satisfy me, satisfy me, satisfy me!"

Jesus came that we might find satisfaction in Him. He IS the Living Word—the Living Torah, the Word of God made manifest. Only He can truly satisfy. Yet, we want more! We want feel-good messages. We want to walk out from church feeling like we are important or we are good or we are someone.

But, is that the purpose of the Gospel? Didn't God give us the Word to live by like a roadmap for life? And, if a roadmap for life, can we bypass the hard roads – the roads under construction – in order to just cruise along on the beautiful country lanes?

Let's take some time and think about our own dissatisfaction. If our Pastor preaches a series of sermons that you think aren't for you or that you've grown past what He's preaching, you might be more like the dissatisfied Israelites … "if only we had meat to eat … we never see anything but this manna!"

May we all learn to appreciate every crumb that falls from the Master's table, receive it as the treasure it is, as the life-giving, cleansing, and totally satisfying Word of the Living God that our souls crave so desperately. Let's be careful to not crave that which God has not provided for us. Let's adopt Paul's attitude and learn to be content with the "manna" God provides through His anointed and appointed vessels—let's find satisfaction at the Master's table regardless what His menu includes in any given day. Let's find satisfaction in His Word. Amen!

Father, forgive me. I have craved that which You have not apportioned to me. I have found myself dissatisfied and now see that I am no better than the Israelites who begged for more than the manna – more than Your provision for them. Lord, teach me to receive the manna – the Word of God – with gladness and to digest it and allow it to strengthen me and nourish me. Help me, Lord, to see my anxious dissatisfaction as a craving of my flesh. Help me to trust You to provide for me what I need for live and godliness. In Jesus' precious name, the Living Bread sent from Heaven, amen and amen!

"Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your forefathers ate manna and died, but he who feeds on this bread will live forever." (John 6:57-58)

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Amen, amen!

Carmen said...

just saw your blog on Kathryn's page...

lovely, Sister...and wonderful YUMMY Word!

Shalom Aleichem!