Thursday, November 20, 2008

Dead Men Walking

"But she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth." (1 Timothy 5:6)

Paul's letter to Timothy is full of instruction for the church. You will find it contains some of the strongest admonition in church government found in the scripture. Among Paul's admonition to the church regarding church government a few verses are directed to the subject of widows. This small verse stands out as having much to say to all of us.

"But she that liveth in pleasure . . ." Pleasure as opposed to surrender and self-control. Pleasure as opposed to denying the flesh so the spirit may live. Pleasure as opposed to dying daily and picking up the cross and following Christ. There is nothing in pleasure that answers the purposes of life; it is not the reason for which life was given.

Not too long ago I saw a 2-minute clip of a movie where a child was sharing with his father something that was fearful to him . . . everywhere he looked he saw people who appeared to be alive but were really dead and didn't even know they were dead.

There are many who are sitting in the churches being deceived into thinking they are alive but yet they are dead, those who have assumed the name "Christian" but who have never surrendered their live to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. Many people claim the name "Christian" yet their hearts are dead in sin, living in pleasure and dead while they are yet alive.

Are you alive in Christ or are you as a dead man walking? Are you living a surrendered life or are you living in pleasure? Is your motive in life to fulfill the longing of your spirit or is it to fulfill the lust of the flesh?

It's time to quit being silent and boldly proclaim Jesus Christ as Lord and win the lost regardless of the cost. We are so worried about speaking out of place or out of turn. We are far too silent and secretive about our Lord while we see people all around us who are on the road to hell. Many times it appears that our concern is more for not offending someone with the Truth while we allow them to offend us with their irreverent behavior and speech.

1 Peter 5:8 tells us to "be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour". The fact is that he is AS a roaring lion. The righteous should be BOLD as a lion, sharing the Truth, preaching the Gospel, and loving our family, friends, and neighbors into the Kingdom of God. Let's not cower in fear with the roar of the one who walks around looking to devour someone, let's stand with BOLDNESS and proclaim Jesus Christ is Lord and win the lost at any cost.

Father, forgive me for the times I may appear to be as a dead man walking . . . help me to look alive and to emanate the life that I have in Christ Jesus my Lord. Father open my mouth and teach me to share openly, help me to be secure enough in Your love to speak with love and power of Your saving Grace. Be glorified in my conversation, in my zeal, in my fervor, and in my passion to win the lost at any cost. In Jesus' name, amen and amen!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me." (Isaiah 6:8)

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

No comments: