Monday, November 10, 2008

Get Off the Throne!

"When they professed themselves to be wise, they became fools. For they turned the glory of the incorruptible God to the similitude of the image of a corruptible man . . ." (Romans 1:22-23)

I can easily remember my mother's words when I willfully disobeyed her thinking I knew better than she did . . . "So, you think you're pretty smart, do you?" Oh, those words cut to the quick, not because she meant harm by them but because she was right. I made a choice to disobey because I was convinced that I knew better than she did, that I had everything under control.

How many of us have been there or may even be there right now . . . willfully disobedient to God because we think we can handle our situation and God's way just seems too hard or not quite appropriate for our "special" circumstances. That's just like us – we always think our circumstances are unique, special, or extraordinary; this is a major cause of willful disobedience. How many times have you heard someone say, "Oh, God understands!" or "The Bible isn't specific about this so it's not disobedience!" or "I'll go ahead this once and repent quickly, but it's the only way to deal with this problem right now!" And, perhaps you've even said these things yourself.

Today's verse talks about this very thing . . . professing to be wise. But look at the next verse: "they turned the glory of the incorruptible God to the similitude of the image of a corruptible man . . ." In other words, they usurped the will of God making a "god" of corruptible man in the place of our incorruptible God.

Our decisions to disobey make us the authority, put us on the throne, and deflate the image and glory of God to the level of mere man. Oh yes, this is a hard word . . . one that cuts to the quick, but is true nonetheless.

Take some time right now to search your heart . . . is there any area that you have chosen YOUR way as opposed to God's way? Are there any "special" circumstances in your life that may have opened the door for you to take control rather than giving God control by obeying His Word? Allow the Holy Spirit to expose these areas and repent . . . don't be foolish by turning "the glory of the incorruptible God to the similitude of the image of a corruptible man". "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." (James 4:7) Let God be God and let His glory be established in your life!

Father, so many times I have found my own way through a situation rather than trusting You to lead me and guide me through Your Word. So many times I have thought my circumstances warranted special consideration . . . not once considering that my disobedience was robbing you and bringing you down to the level of mere man. Oh Lord, I repent . . . I am so sorry for choosing my way above Your way and for neglecting the leading of Your Spirit to trust You in ALL things. Lord, I choose to submit to You, to resist the devil when he draws me away, and I know that by this the enemy will flee and that Your glory will be established in my life. Lord, help me to recognize my foolishness in comparison to Your glory in all that I do in thought, word, and deed. In the name of Jesus that He might be glorified, amen and amen!

"Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up." (James 4:10)

© 2008 Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very powerful and well written piece. Thanks. I often use the phrase "Get off the throne!" when talking to people. It was very fitting for this article. God bless you and keep bringing God's truth to the forefront.

Wendy M. Reynolds
higherheightscorp.com