Thursday, August 21, 2008

Murmuring and Complaining

"And all the children of Israel murmured against Moses and against Aaron: and the whole congregation said unto them, Would God that we had died in the land of Egypt! or would God we had died in this wilderness!" (Numbers 14:2)

The murmuring and complaining of the children of Israel seemed to never stop! When things got rough their immediate response was always much the same, "Would God that we had died in the land of Egypt." Don't be too shocked, we're not much different

When I have read this passage, or a similar one, several times over the past few weeks it suddenly became apparent to me that God was sending me a message about my lack of gratefulness and appreciation for all that He has done for me. No different than the grumbling and complaining children of Israel! I could often hear the words swirling around in my mind, "It would be so much easier if I only hadn't . . ." – you can finish the sentence. You most likely have moments when you say the same thing.

When we consider all that the Lord has given us, the blood of the Spotless Lamb to cleanse us and make us whole, guaranteeing our victory in the face of every enemy, how can we not be full of praise and gratefulness. When we think of the way He provided for us to be reconciled to Him even while we were yet dead in sin, how can we not fall on our faces in total submission to His awesome plan. When we reflect on all the times He made a way for us where there seemed to be no way, when His presence was with us even when we weren't expecting it, when we made bad choices yet His love never failed . . . when we contemplate all His goodness, His mercy, His total provision, how can we not be overwhelmed with His faithfulness, His mercy, His constant and abiding love.

We are given the examples of the Israelites' dissatisfaction and longing for "the good old days" as admonition to find another way to respond to all the changes that happen in our lives. Let us ever join the Psalmist . . . "I will extol the LORD at all times; his praise will always be on my lips. My soul will boast in the LORD; let the afflicted hear and rejoice. Glorify the LORD with me; let us exalt his name together. I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. (Psalm 34:1-4)

Father, so often my grumbling and complaining about my circumstances must break your heart as my dissatisfaction rises to the throneroom as a clanging cymbal. Please forgive me, Lord, for not always acknowledging that You are Lord in the good times and in the bad, that You have not lost control of my life, that You are always there making a way for me even if I don't see you at work. Oh Father, I repent for all the times I showed dissatisfaction rather than praise, when I exhibited poor responses to Your hand at work in my life, when I failed to see Your will being done as opposed to answering my prayers in a way I thought You should have. Lord, forgive me. Cleanse me. Renew a right spirit within me. Help me to always be like the Psalmist with Your praise always on my lips, rejoicing with a heart of thanksgiving. You deserve the glory and the honor, in Jesus' name, Amen and Amen.

"Praise ye the LORD. Praise the LORD, O my soul. While I live will I praise the LORD: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being." (Psalm 146:1-2)

© 2008 Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

Sara Harricharan said...

This has certainly gotten me thinking. Thanks for sharing!

Joanne Sher said...

I hate how true this is (you know what I mean!). I prayed that prayer right along with you!

Anonymous said...

Amen.

By the way, I Love the name of your blog. I wrote a post about THE Plumb Line.

Kathryn said...

Jan, A big "AMEN!" from my little corner of the world!

Weekend blessings ...