Monday, July 27, 2009

The Very Essence of Life

"This is the man upon whom I will look, he that is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word." (Isaiah 66:2)

When was the last time we trembled at God's Word? How seriously do we take our study of the Bible?

These are questions the Spirit of God is leading us to use to examine our own hearts today. These questions are probing my very heart as I pen this devotion.

What does it mean when God says "trembles at my word"?

I love the Word of God! I love to study the Word and learn more about the writer, what he is saying, looking at his words through his own eyes and his own culture. But I find myself asking if I am one who "trembles at [God's] word". How seriously do I take His Word? How careful am I to handle His Word with fear and reverence?

The word "trembles" comes from the Hebrew word "chared" meaning "fearful; reverential". It comes from a root word "charad" which gives further understanding: "to shudder with terror; to fear, also to hasten (with anxiety): to be (or make) afraid, be careful, quake, tremble".

The Amplified Bible helps us understand: "… who trembles at My word and reveres My commands."

Do we really tremble at God's Word? Do we take our duty to "revere" His commands seriously? Or, are we counting on God's mercy while we simply live our lives the way we see fit?

The problem is that most of us are so busy trying to make a living, raise a family, pay the bills, keep up with society's demands, etc., that we have lost the fear of God-the reverential awe of His Word and the careful attention to DO and LIVE the Word of God. In most of our lives, the Word of God takes a small place (if any at all) in our lives while we rush through our day to complete our busy schedules.

God says that those He is looking for are those who consider His Word as the very essence of life, as necessary as breath.

John Wesley once said, "I have thought I am a creature of a day, passing through life as an arrow through the air. I am a spirit come from God, and returning to God, just hovering over the great gulf, till a few moments hence, I am no more seen; I drop into an unchangeable eternity! I want to know one thing-the way to heaven, how to land safe on that happy shore. God himself has condescended to teach the way; for this very end He came from heaven. He has written it down in a book. O give me that Book at any price, give me the Book of God" (from the preface of Sermons on Several Occasions by John Wesley, originally published in 1771).

My prayer today is that we ALL crave, yearn, hunger and thirst for the living Word of God so that we will become that man or woman whom God will look upon, the ones with humble and contrite spirits, the ones who tremble at His Word.

Lord, I repent for not taking Your Word seriously enough, for not considering my time of study important enough to change my busy schedule. I confess that life's responsibilities all too often crowd out my time of searching out Who You are and what You want me to know. Convict me, Holy Spirit, and draw me into deep and abiding relationship with my Father through His Word. I submit myself to You to learn of You and fear You with a holy and reverential fear. In Jesus' precious name-the Living Word-amen and amen!

"May my cry come before you, O LORD; give me understanding according to your word." (Psalm 119:169)

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

No comments: