Wednesday, July 1, 2009

By Our Actions

"This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men." (Titus 3:8)

"Be careful to maintain good works." It matters more than most of us are aware of. One of the quickest ways to ruin our Christian testimony is by not being careful to maintain good works.

Simple courtesies in our daily routines make it possibly for the light of Christ to shine through our actions, giving us an opportunity to impact someone's life without even speaking a word. Opening the door for others, considerate driving practices, allowing someone with few groceries to take the place in line ahead of us, smiling at strangers on the street . . . there are any number of ways to "maintain good works."

The other day someone shared with me that they could easily tell people who had a sincere relationship with Christ by their actions. The work God is doing on man's heart will show outwardly; it will be profound in many ways.

Take a reading of your personal "good work meter" and see how you measure up. Did you cut off a driver because you were in a hurry? Did you push your way to the counter ahead of someone without regard to those around you? Have you walked down the street making eye contact and smiling at passers-by? Check yourself and do it often. Make sure your good works are communicating to others that you are different. Don't fall into the trap of treating the world as the world treats you; set a higher standard for your life so the love of Christ will show through every word, every deed, and every step you take.

A quote commonly attributed to St. Francis of Assisi sums it up: "Preach the gospel at all times. Use words if necessary."

Let your good deeds tell the story of the abounding love of Jesus Christ loud and clear.

Father, I must repent. My attitude, my actions, my motives are so often selfish, preferring myself rather than preferring others. Lord, teach me to consider my ways every moment of every day, looking for every opportunity to do good works that will reflect the good work You have done and You are doing in me. Lord, open my eyes and let me see the needs of others so I can do whatever is necessary to minister to them through my actions. Father, teach me to preach the gospel through my good works which will glorify You. Help me to remember that sharing the Gospel when my deeds and actions don't testify to Your goodness is fruitless. Let my life reflect the change You have made in me. In Jesus' name, for His glory, amen and amen!

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 5:16)

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

No comments: