Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Pollution Control

Although the major election year is passed and today's devotion is not about politics, the verse may lead you you to think otherwise.

"Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people." (Proverbs 14:34)

Actually, this verse has much more to do with living a life sanctified and set apart for the Master's use. It's about living above the base lusts of the flesh and conducting our lives in a fashion that is pleasing and acceptable in the eyes of God. After all, that's what He's commanded us to do.

Leviticus 20:7 says, "Sanctify yourselves therefore, and be ye holy: for I am the LORD your God." But, what does "sanctify yourselves" really mean? One commentator says, "We must cleanse ourselves from all the pollutions of sin, consecrate ourselves to the service and honor of God, and conform ourselves in everything to His holy will and image: this is to sanctify ourselves."

We are to keep ourselves from sin . . . make informed decisions in every area of our lives, think before we act, weigh our choices and then make the choice that is right according to the Word of God. Every temptation that comes our way brings with it a choice—one way will lead to destruction, the other way to abundant life.

According to 1 Peter 1:15-16, we are called to be holy in all manner of conversation. All our fellowship and interaction with others MUST have its basis in holiness. Anything less will rob the testimony—the visible witness of the glory of the Redeemer which God is building throughout the earth today … through His people.

Father, my heart's desire is to live a life sanctified unto You. Help me to consider my choices in all I do, then act on the right choice as a way of bringing glory to Your Name. Lord, teach me Your ways through Your Word. Be a shield all around me, O Lord, as I journey along life's path. Give me strength to choose righteousness and to disdain sin using the Word of God as my pattern. Lord, I love You; thank You for Your presence and direction in my life. Where would I be without You, Lord?

"And to make thee high above all nations which he hath made, in praise, and in name, and in honour; and that thou mayest be an holy people unto the LORD thy God, as he hath spoken." (Deuteronomy 26:19)

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

No comments: