Friday, October 9, 2009

Balancing Act

Prayer is as important to God as it is to us.  In God's economy, it is as important to pray for one another as it is to pray for our own needs.

"Moreover as for me, God forbid that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you: but I will teach you the good and the right way" (I Samuel 12:23)

Intercession is not just for those who feel it is their ministry; it is for ALL of us. There is a principle of giving which flows throughout scripture that is the basis for intercession: "give and it shall be given unto you".

So often we find ourselves so caught up in our own circumstances of life that we fail to consider our brothers and sisters may be facing similar or worse challenges.  Through interceding for them in their time of need, the heart of God reaches out not only to them, but also to us. Oftentimes it is a sacrifice to pray for others, but it is one which is accepted as a sweet-smelling savor ascending to the throneroom of God.

Consider your prayer life. How is your time spent?  Do you pray for your needs and those of your family?  Of course you do.  But, do you also spend time interceding for others, placing their needs on the same level as your own?  Job 42:10 says, "And the LORD turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends: also the LORD gave Job twice as much as he had before."  It was when he gave himself to prayer and intercession for his friends that God was moved to not only replace all that he lost, but He doubled his return.

Consider this carefully. Be balanced in your prayers and you will see the hand of God move not only in your life but in the lives of those for whom you pray.

Father, I'm afraid I have to admit that I often neglect praying for others as much as I should.  I see the principle in your Word that as I pray for others, You are able to move in my own circumstances as well as theirs.  Lord help me to pray according to Your will . . . for me, for my family, for all whom I know that need a touch from You, amen.

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

Note: If you would like to be involved in Heart of God International Ministries' prayer ministry (Palal Partners), please click here subscribe. Join a group of men and women who intercede on behalf of the ministry, its outreaches, and the many prayer requests sent to us daily from all over. For more information, click here.

No comments: