Monday, October 19, 2009

Be Rich!

Material wealth really makes no distinction in anything that pertains to character or salvation; it does not necessarily make one wise, or learned, or great, or good. In fact, the same truth was pertinent in Paul's time as it is today. The Lord wants us ALL to be rich in works.

"Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy; that they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate; laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life." (1 Timothy 6:17-19)

Our works are important to the Lord . . . they are an indicator of the condition of our heart. A corrupt heart will produce corrupt fruit just as a healthy heart in relationship with the Lord will produce healthy fruit bringing glory to Him.

The letters to the churches of Asia written by John in Revelation 2 and 3 show us how each church was judged. Look at what the angel said to each of the churches: "I know thy works . . ." Notice the angel didn't say "I know your heart . . ." but he talked about their works – the churches were known by their works because their works reflected the condition of their hearts. If you were judged according to your works, what would be known of your heart? Do your works reveal a heart full of faith? Does your life bear the imprint of Christlikeness? Or do your works cause your friends, family, and acquaintances to question whom you serve—God or self?

Let us all be "rich in good works, ready to distribute, and willing to communicate" as our works are closely judged by the One who knows the motive of our hearts. May we never be found guilty of being rich in worldly goods without having a heart producing healthy fruit by being "rich in good works" as well.

Father, I pray that the motive of my heart will be pure as I produce fruit fit for a King. Expose areas in my life that are lacking and give me the courage to pursue good works at all times and in all situations. Father, teach me Your ways as I daily choose to cast down my thoughts, my plans, my ideas to apprehend Yours. I love You, Lord, and I long to please You according to all that is within me, for Your glory and honor, amen and amen!

"Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established." (Proverbs 16:3)

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

No comments: