Thursday, March 26, 2009

Who Will You Serve?

"For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High." (Isaiah 14:13-14)


 

Just reading these verses we get quite a clear picture of the evil intents of a heart dedicated to "I will!" Just listen to yourself as you carefully read the evidence of strife, bitterness, pride, boastfulness, and the very essence of evil:

"I will ascend . . . I will exalt . . . I will sit . . . I will ascend . . . I will be . . ."

Every day we have a battle going on in our minds . . . it is the battle between "I will" and "Thy will". H. G. Wells wrote a famous book entitled, "The War of the World's". The Bible could easily be considered the written record of "The War of the Wills".

Paul wrote to us in Romans 7:21-23 giving a description of this "war" raging within his own heart . . . "So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members." As you can easily see, this struggle is common to mankind.

There is another One who struggled with this same war as it raged within His heart as well. Matthew 26:42 gives us but a glimpse of the pain involved with making the critical decision between our will and the Lord's will. "He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done." Jesus knew that the Lord's will had to be done, however, that didn't stop or lessen the struggle and agony He went through before finally saying, "Thy will be done."

Take careful note of the decisions (both great and small) you are required to make day after day. Make a conscious effort of making sure that it is "Thy will" that becomes your theme in life rather than "my will "or as Isaiah described so powerfully, "I will!"

Do you have a struggle you are facing in your life today? Ask yourself whose will will be done . . . will you do the will of your Father or will you do what you choose? "Choose this day whom you will serve" . . . make your choice by asking this question, "will I do my will, or will I do my Father's will".


 

Father, I stand before you so aware of the many, many times I chose my will as opposed to your will. Help me, Father, to always choose your will. As hard as it is, my life MUST bear witness to the will of my Father in heaven. Lord, help me to see clearly your will as opposed to my will. Help me to quickly determine who is speaking to me by judging the words whether they point to you or to me! Father, it is my desire that "Thy will be done in earth as it is in heaven". Teach me to hear your voice more clearly. Help me to quickly recognize YOUR will, accept the challenge, and then do it! In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

"Teach me to do thy will; for thou art my God: thy spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness." (Psalm 143:10)


 

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved


 

No comments: