Friday, March 20, 2009

Walk in Love – Ephesians 5:2


 

"And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling savor." (Ephesians 5:2)


 

Love . . . our lives must be characterized by love following the example of Jesus Christ, our Lord! We are to display the same love for one another that Jesus did for us by giving of ourselves totally and completely to others. The strength of His love was so great that He was willing to lay down His live and give Himself up to death on our account. Our love for one another should be such that we would be willing to do the same thing for them . . . allow their will to be done in the place of yours!

The sweet-smelling savor relates to the offering of incense the priests would make to the Lord -- the offering of Christ to God was like that pleasant smell . . . His total obedience pleased the Father and made the way for the salvation of all.

All in all, today's verse speaks to us of a love which is so complete, so pure, and so sacrificial . . . a love which is passed on to us! A love so undeserved yet given to us so freely . . . a love for which we praise our Lord Jesus Christ! He's the Lamb that was Slain . . . He's the Risen Lord and Saviour . . . He is Love!

Love Him today and it will be easier to love all those around you . . . and it will be easier for all those around you to love you in return! And, as a bonus, the Lord will be pleased with the sweet-smelling savor produced by your sacrificial love one toward another! Amen!


 

Father, may my life be a sweet-smelling savor unto you! Help me to love those around me as Christ has shown His love toward me . . . a sacrificial, total love that surpasses all knowledge or comprehension! Thank You Lord, for all You have done for me! As I contemplate Your sacrifice not only this time of year but all through the year, I pray that you will help me gain a little more understanding of the price You paid to purchase my redemption. I am so unworthy, Lord . . . remembering your sacrifice is so humbling . . . I can't say it enough . . . Thank You! Amen and Amen!

"But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, well pleasing to God." (Philippians 4:18)


 

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

No comments: