Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Top Priority


 

"Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth." (John 17:17)


 

The Word of God is truth. The Word of God is sufficient to cleanse us from all of our unrighteousness. The Word of God is preeminent. The Word of God sanctifies us. The Word of God is alive today in the person of Jesus Christ, our Risen Lord!

There is nothing new nor is there any tool or vehicle by which we can be made clean other than the Word of God. Of course, when talk about the Word of God, I am referring to none other than Jesus Christ the Lord and King of the universe.

It would be good for us to take some time to consider what level of priority the Word of God holds in our life. Have we established the Word of God as a source for all that is true and all that is pure and all that is holy. Or, have we accepted a lesser truth by believing the lies this world tells us through television, radio, written media, through the internet, and even more than that, through our own fleshly desires.

The Psalmist says that he seeks God early in the morning. "Early in the morning will I rise up and seek thee". When I consider my own ways, I see where the Word of God has not been my first daily priority. How many of you acknowledge that to be the truth in your own lives as well?

Recently I read a statement that said, "You cannot recognize a lie until you know the truth". How can we recognize the lies of the enemy unless we have something planted deep within our hearts against which to compare it? Even in this simple statement, it is easy to see the importance of knowing the Word of God.

I encourage you today to make a plan to give the Word of God preeminence in your life. I challenge you to turn off the television. I challenge you to lay down the newspapers, magazines, and the books. I challenge you to turn off the radio. And, I challenge you to give the Word of God top priority in your life. If you do, and if you will, God will reveal to you how easy it is to recognize truth as opposed to the lies of the enemy.

Will you do this? Will you agree to rearrange your life and give the Word of God top priority? No one can do it for you; it is a discipline you will have to establish in your own life. Let's pray . . .


 

Lord, we come before you today recognizing that we have not given the Word of God preeminence in our lives. Yes, we read the Word of God, but usually only at a time that's convenient for us or when in fits into our busy schedules. Father, forgive us. Lord, convict us every morning when our eyes open at the dawning of each new day, to seek you in the Word of God and to let your Word be established in our hearts giving us the desperately needed guidance and direction for the day. Let us declare as the Psalmist did, "early in the morning will I seek you". Help me today, Lord, to make this commitment and bring it to my remembrance tomorrow and everyday afterward. I love you and I praise you for truth that sanctifies me and keeps me pure . . . I praise you for the Word of God. In Jesus' precious name I pray, amen!


 

"Forever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven." (Psalm 119:89)


 

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

Yvonne Blake said...

thank you for your daily drink from God's Word.

I have something for YOU at my blog.

http://mybackdoorministry.blogspot.com