Sunday, January 4, 2009

A Time of New Beginnings

"I will rise now, and go about the city in the streets, and in the broad ways I will seek him whom my soul loveth: I sought him, but I found him not." (Song 3:2)

Read today's verse. Now, read it again and begin to feel the desperation of this one's "seeking"! It's a picture of a seeker, one who rises from bed, goes out into the city streets, into the broad ways, and seeks "him whom my soul loveth".

The word "seek" in this verse is translated as to "beg, beseech, desire, enquire, get, make inquisition, procure, (make) request, require, seek (for)" . . . certainly not a casual want or desire! This is an intense seeking – a seeking that is a requirement, a seeking that even includes begging and striving to find! Seeking "whom my soul loveth . . ."

When was the last time you arose in the morning and set on a quest to seek the One whom your soul loveth? Or, perhaps it would be better to ask whom does your soul love? Wouldn't you say that that which we seek after is that which we love the most?

As we begin a new year, let's consider how seriously we take our daily search for the Lord. Where does the Lord fit into our daily schedule or routine? Is He first? Does He get snuck in where there are a few free moments? Does He get put off till we're so tired we can't keep our eyes open or our hearts focused? Is our seeking of the Lord an intense seeking? Have we become like some who may not even feel it necessary to be so intense about our pursuit of God?

This is a new year, a time of new beginnings, or at least a new start. Let's take advantage of this new year to examine our hearts and make a commitment to pursue God with all that is within us. That which we pursue with this type of intensity is that which we love. Do we love the Lord with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength? Then let's pursue Him whom our soul loveth in hot pursuit!

Isaiah 55:6 admonishes us, "Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near." Pursue Him more than anything! Seek Him and you will find Him . . . that's a promise!

Father, I confess that my pursuit of You has often been weak and lacking the drive of one in hot pursuit. Father, I want this year to be different—to be a new start and a new beginning for me as I commit to seek You with all that is within me. Father, promised that if I seek You,You will be found. Lord, I want You – I want to know You, I want to know Your love more than ever before. I am determined to feel that desperation for You, to need You more than my very next breath. Help me to find "him whom my soul loveth"! In Jesus' name, amen and amen!

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. (Matt 7:7-8)

©Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

No comments: