Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Do You?

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night." (Psalm 1:1-2)

The book of Psalms starts off with three areas of personal problems: Walking in the counsel of the ungodly; standing in the way of sinners; sitting in the seat of the scornful. Immediately, the Psalmist gives us the preferred alternative . . . our delight should be in the law of the Lord – the Word of God – as we meditate in it day and night. In other words our delight should not be found in the counsel of the ungodly, the way of the sinners, or the seat of the scornful, it must be in the Word of God.

What is the counsel of the ungodly? Have you ever stopped to think about that statement? Matthew Henry is rather strong in his interpretation of the first part of this verse: "A godly man, that he may avoid the evil, utterly renounces the companionship of evil-doers, and will not be led by them." Psalm 119:115 says, "Depart from me, ye evildoers: for I will keep the commandments of my God." Those who do not fear God have no understanding of the things of God and are in rebellion against Him.

What is the way of sinners? Simply put, the man who fears God does not follow the same path or way of those who have no fear of God. The way of sinners is not the way of the child of God! Proverbs 4:14-15 says, "Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men. Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away." Avoid the path of the sinners, don't follow the ways of those who do not know the Lord, don't use them as rolemodels, or allow them to influence your life. Those who do not fear God have no knowledge of the path which leads to righteousness and holiness.

And, what is the seat of the scornful? Again Matthew Henry offers an explanation: "The scornful are those that set their mouths against the heavens." They shun good and adhere to evil, their wickedness makes them proud and they boast in their sin. Their consciences appear to be seared and they have no regret for their rebellion and wickedness. Those who do not fear God have nothing in them that appeal to the Godly man or woman.

But . . . But! But the righteous delight in the law of the Lord! We find comfort in God's Word. We find fulfillment in knowing God through His Word! Our lives are sustained by His Word as His promises are revealed and we cling to them for hope in our times of need. We run to the Word when we have troubles and we find help. We draw from the Word the very essence of our life . . . it is our manna from heaven in the right proportion to meet our need for that day.

John 1:14 gives us a reason to meditate on the Word of God day and night: "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."

Do you allow the Word to guide you, or are you following after the counsel of the ungodly?

Do you follow the path of righteousness and holiness revealed to you in the Word, or are you standing in the way of sinners?

Do you willingly and eagerly obey the Word with humility and a tender conscience, or are you sitting in the seat of the scornful?

Finally, do you meditate on Him in the daytime and in the nighttime? Is your gaze fixed on the Lover of your soul? Do you delight in Him?

Father, I need help . . . I see where I need to make some changes in my life but am powerless to do it on my own. I need Your strength to be made perfect in my weakness so that I can pursue You with all my heart, mind, soul, and strength. Father, forgive me for times I've neglected to use wisdom in my associations. Forgive me for not eagerly seeking Your Word to find the answers to situations in my life. Forgive me for seeking answers I desperately need from those who have no understanding of godliness. Help me to seek You first, Your kingdom first, Your righteousness first with the understanding that You are all I need in every situation and every circumstance I could ever face. I love You Lord, and I love Your Word! In Jesus' name, amen.

"Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, and will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty." (2 Corinthians 6:17-18)

© 2008 Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

LauraLee Shaw said...

Wow, I love this. How incredibly deep and rich and challenging. I'll be chewing on this word all day. Thank you, Jan.

Kathryn said...

As I read this post, Jan, my heart was led to the words of Jesus in Matthew:

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." (Matthew 7:13-14)