Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Radically Obedient

Here is a phrase that's challenged me. Not just words, but a calling. Not just for me, but for any who call themselves Christian.

What is radical obedience? Let me see if I can put it into words. To me, radical obedience is obeying God when it doesn't make sense. Radical obedience is doing God's will when our own agenda makes more sense. Radical obedience is not only asking "What Would Jesus Do" but DOING what Jesus did. Radical obedience is denying my flesh while fulfilling God's purpose for me. Radical obedience is heeding the call of God when, by all appearances, it's out of the question. Radical obedience is not compromising even if it means losing friends. Radical obedience is venturing outside my comfort zone no matter how uncomfortable or unreasonable it feels.

Radical obedience demands I do whatever I do so that Christ might be glorified, so that He is the focus of my life, so people see Him and not me. Radical obedience demands I disregard those things which seem to be important to me so that Christ becomes of paramount importance to me.

I have thought I was living a radically obedient life. But each day I learn there are more areas that absolutely MUST be submitted to radical obedience.

Here's the deal … "Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death-even death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." (Philippians 2:5-11 NIV)

Jesus is the greatest example of radical obedience. It's time for Christians to understand what it means to be called a Christian – being LIKE Christ. We cannot be a Christian unless we pursue Christ-likeness. Unless we're willing to be radically obedient like Christ was radically obedient, then we have no right to bear the name Christian.

Oh, I have so far to go! But it is my desire to pursue radical obedience … not when it's convenient, but when it is most inconvenient.

What about you?

_____________
© 2007 Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

 

No comments: