Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Coming Out of the Closet

As a child I can remember when I did something wrong, I would run and hide or try to hide from my parents. I knew I had disobeyed them and was ashamed, hurt, and afraid of the consequences I knew were about to befall me! But even as a child, I knew there was no place I could hide that my parents could not find me. Or, if I attempted to hide the object I broke or ruined, somehow they always found it. It was a fact of life, no doubt about it!

In a child's eyes, parents are the ultimate authority, the ones they love the most, while at the same time, the ones they fear the most! Many times we, as Christians, act the same way toward Heavenly Father. We do something wrong and immediately we want to hide. Of course, we know we cannot hide from Him, but we have a tendency to "sweep things under the rug" and not deal with them, a way of hiding from Him.

Why do we do this? Most times it's because we don't want to suffer the consequences for what we've done wrong. By denying it we hope that the problem will just "disappear".

The Lord knows us. He knows where we are at all times, what we are doing, what we are thinking. He knows what motivates our actions. Actually, He knows more about us than we know or are willing to acknowledge. He knows our strengths and our weaknesses...He knows us.

Take special note today of the ways you "hide" from God by not coming to terms with the times you miss the mark. Then, quickly repent and thank Him that you are covered by the Blood of the Lamb and accept His cleansing and purifying forgiveness.

Respect Him and "fear" Him as a child, love Him and honor Him in all you set your hand to, today and every day.

"Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD." (Jeremiah 23:24)

Dear Father, so many times I find myself "hiding" from You so I don't have to deal with my problems or my sin, not because I don't love You but because I fear the consequences. Lord, help me to trust You and to be secure in our love—Your love for me and mine for You! Lord, I love You more than anything or anyone . . . help me, Lord, to show my love by running TO You rather than AWAY from You when I have missed the mark. Amen!

"Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity." (2 Timothy 2:19)

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

No comments: