Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Relationship Test

"The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" (Psalm 27:1)

David knew where His strength lay. He had seen the Hand of God move in his life time and time again, from a youth until he drew his last breath. His relationship with the Lord was such that he understood Who God was in every area of his life—he knew God as the Strength of his Life.

Could you pass the relationship test? Do you have a revelation of who God is in every area of your life? In every need in your life? In every situation in which you find yourself? See if you can pass the test:

  1. To whom do you run when there is a crisis in your life?
    - Your spouse?
    - Your best friend?
    - Your parents?
    - Your Lord?


 

  1. When you are faced with a sudden emergency, who do you call upon first?
    - The paramedics?
    - Your spouse?
    - Your best friend?
    - The Lord?


     

  2. When you awaken in the middle of the night and cannot sleep, what do you do?
    - Take a sleep-aid.
    - Watch television?
    - Pray?

Without going any further, it's easy to see that sometimes we might fail the relationship test. Our first thought is not "Father!" but it is someone or something else. Admittedly, many of us eventually get around to calling on the Lord, but many times it's only after all else has failed…as a last resort.

David gives us a good understanding of passion and relationship. God was the Strength of his life and he knew it, he acted on it, and he wasn't afraid to admit it.

Let's make a commitment to seek His face. Let's put aside worldly things, and allow the light of God's Word to illuminate our soul in such a way that we, too, will come to know Him as the Strength of our Life, amen.

Father, You truly are awesome. Without You I can do nothing. Without You I am nothing. Lord, teach me to be so closely knit together with You that You are the first One I call upon when in need, the only One able to meet my need. Teach me to grow in relationship with You and acknowledge Your presence every minute of every day. Father, You are the strength of every fiber of my being—You are the Strength of My Life. Help me to dwell in faith knowing that You are all I need, amen.

"The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song." (Psalm 28:7)

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

Dee Yoder said...

Oh, what a great reminder to ALWAYS run to Him first with everything that distracts, distresses, or confuses. I often call on Him in times of trouble, but when I can't sleep? Well, not so much! I need to remember that the Lord is ALWAYS there and eager to talk over my troubles and bring His calm and peace into my life. Wonderful post, Jan!