Tuesday, November 6, 2007

First Flakes Flying

This morning as I sat here in my chair doing some praying, reading, and writing, I looked out the window across the corn field blowing in the wind and noticed some white stuff occasionally flitting by. Suddenly, my mind was catapulted to my childhood when I would sit and just watch the snow fall from the heavy clouds, turning Dad's carefully manicured lawn into a white blanket of frozen delight. Such excitement welled up within me. "It's Snowing!"

I have to admit the excitement this morning wasn't quite the same as it was when I was Daddy's little girl. But there's an element of exhilaration in today's first flakes flying. But now it has more to do with the passing of seasons than it does with visions of snowball fights, toboggan rides, and snow angels.


Seasons mean more to me now than they did when I was a child. Not that I didn't love the change of seasons, mind you. But now they have so much more significance than ever before. When I consider seasons now, I consider my age, I think about this season of life, and I think of the season of harvest—not corn, beans or wheat, but harvesting of souls.


Time passes by more quickly each year—no wonder God said, "a day is as a thousand years and a thousand years as a day" (2 Peter 3:8)! But with the passing of days and weeks and months and years, of seasons and phases, those who are looking and watching and waiting are overwhelmingly reminded of the season of Christ's soon return. It can't be far off, it just can't!


Considering Israel and her turmoil this morning, I pray, "Lord, bring Peace to Jerusalem" all the while knowing that asking Peace to come is asking the Prince of Peace to return … there is no peace without the Prince of Peace. But it doesn't frighten me to pray that … I long to see Israel restored to her Redeemer, for her eyes to be opened and the Messiah revealed to those who would seek Him. I long to know that every effort of the enemy through peoples and nations to thwart God's purpose in and through Israel is pure vanity. After all, how could anyone hope to manipulate the hand of God, to challenge His covenant, or to think He has simply forgotten the Land of Promise, the People of Covenant, the Apple of His Eye.


While first flakes fly this morning, I pray … "Lord Jesus, come quickly and restore Israel unto Yourself. Take the blinds off her eyes and let her see Your glory manifest through Jesus Christ the Prophesied Messiah, the Redeemer, the Lord of Promise, the Branch of Jesse, the Mighty One of Israel.

Baruch haba b'Shem Adonai … blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord."


_______________
© 2007 Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

No comments: