Monday, January 25, 2010

Godliness

[Note: Please check updates on Heart of God Haiti by clicking HERE.]

Godliness . . . what is it? Reverence, respect, piety toward God.

Contentment . . . what is it? Sufficiency of the necessities of life.

The Apostle Paul makes a statement that needs to be heard and heeded by all Christians. "But godliness with contentment is great gain." (1 Timothy 6:6)

Godliness in itself is great gain and is profitable in all things. And, wherever there is Godliness, there is contentment. This type of contentment is worth all the wealth of the world. To have the world's riches may bring temporary contentment, but that soon erodes away as there is no foundation for life in earthly riches. When the riches are gone, or when they begin to place too many demands on us, we soon lose our contentment only to seek it from other sources.

Godliness is a Christian's gain, the true way to gain. A Godly man or woman has learned, just like Paul, to be content in whatever state they find themselves because they are content with God and don't rely on anything else to bring them peace and satisfaction in life. They are content with what God Himself purposes and provides for them, knowing well that He knows what is best for them in all situations and under all circumstances.

We need to pursue godliness; we need to find contentment. Take the time today to examine your heart. Are you seeking a better physical lifestyle, or are you seeking Godliness? Are you praying for "things" and more of them? Or, are you content in the place where God has you right now? These are tough questions, but they need an answer . . . now.

Father, help me to seek after Godliness with my whole heart and to find the place of contentment for whatever state I am in. Help me remember that the path to true Godliness is reverence, respect and piety toward You. Lord, teach me to pray for the right things in my quest for true contentment, and when I find contentment, help me guard it as the true treasure it is, amen.

"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: everywhere and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Philippians 4:11-13)

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

No comments: