Sunday, January 18, 2009

Three Good Steps

"But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all thy works."  (Psalm 73:28)

Draw nigh to God, put our trust in the Lord, that we may declare His works. Interesting verse.

God's divine order would have it that we first and foremost cultivate our relationship with Him, for without it there is no foundation for trust and there is no passion for the testimony of His works. It is a good thing for man to carefully pursue and secure a relationship with God, above all things. As God draws near to us, we must run to meet Him, thus drawing near to Him. It is not only our duty; it should be our desire to have an ongoing and ongrowing relationship with Him.

The next step, however is putting our trust in the Lord. By putting our trust in the Lord, we proclaim that we will never seek after other gods, we will never prostitute our faith by allowing generic gods to infiltrate our spiritual life. Whom do we serve? Whom do we trust? Whom do we acknowledge in all things? The King of kings and the Lord of lords, the Lord God Almighty. Trust Him with all that is within you and your heart will remain steadfast, never wavering, never seeking after false gods.

Finally, when we have drawn near to Him and placed our trust and faith in Him, a bold declaration of His wondrous works becomes second nature to us. It becomes easy to speak of His goodness and His mercy when we personally have a firm grip on Him.

Next time you feel the urge to testify of God's goodness, go ahead. Boldly witness. Be confident that God will use your testimony to produce fruit in the life (lives) of those with whom you are sharing. Don't hesitate. God is glorified when we declare His works with the boldness that comes from drawing near and putting our trust in Him.

Father, as I consider today's verse, I find that many times I'm distracted and don't take the time to draw near to You as I should. Forgive me, Lord, and help me to change my ways. Help me to build my faith and trust in You so that I can boldly declare Your works to all I come in contact with. Father, I truly want to praise Your name through my words, my deeds, my life . . . that You alone would be glorified! Amen and Amen!

"Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up." (James 4:8-10)

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

No comments: