Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Beaten Olive

"And thou shalt command the children of Israel, that they bring thee pure oil olive beaten for the light, to cause the lamp to burn always." (Exodus 27:20)

Throughout the Old Testament, the reference to beaten olive oil occurs many times. Furthermore, there appears to be a difference between the 'quality' of olive oil that has been beaten and that which has not been beaten. The beaten olive oil burns brighter and longer and is preferred.

What does this mean for us? This reminds me of a verse in Isaiah describing the awesome sacrifice of our Messiah, the horror of His undeserved punishment, the depth of His love for us . . . "Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions; he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with His stripes we are healed." (Isaiah 53:4-5)

Jesus our Messiah was the pure "olive" beaten and afflicted. He bore our punishment, He took the chastisement, He stood as a lamb at slaughter taking stripes that were meant for us. He did this that His light might shine brightly, purely, and eternally in His people, a lamp that will never go out!

By faith we accept His supreme sacrifice, by faith His light burns brightly within us. Don't get caught allowing His light to be hidden by works of your flesh.

Walk in the Spirit and let the light of the 'Beaten Olive' burn brightly, purely, and eternally in you, allowing the scent of the pure oil lingering everywhere you go!

Lord, once again I come to You in awe of how Your Word gives us a glimpse of Your holiness, accomplishing Your plan for mankind to bring You glory! Father, by faith I accept Your sacrifice, by faith I am covered by the blood of the Lamb, by faith the light of my Saviour burns brightly in my life. Lord, I thank You for the "Beaten Olive" who bore my griefs, who carried my sorrows, who was stricken and smitten and afflicted. Words cannot express my gratitude for taking the wounds due me for my transgression, for the bruises You bore because of my iniquities, and for accepting the chastisement which purchased my peace . . . thank You for the stripes You bore for my healing. Father, let the light of the Pure Olive beaten in my stead shine brightly in my life as a praise and glory to Your Holy Name! I love You, Lord, and yet even these words seem empty in comparison to the greatness and magnificence of the gift of love You have given me. In Jesus' name, amen!

"Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness."
(1 Thessalonians 5:5)

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

No comments: