Friday, March 28, 2008

I'm Stirred

Yep! God is stirring in my heart about several things lately and sometimes it seems more than I can digest. Nothing is new, nothing has happened, but there is indeed a stirring going on.

I want to share a video clip with you because it is one of those things stirring me. When I viewed it, I couldn't help but think about the people in Kenya and India we met and ministered to. I couldn't help but think what a joke some of this modern "American" Christianity must be to people who live for a month on less than what it takes to buy one gallon of gas. Maybe I'm not making a lot of sense right now, so here's the video clip (about 3-4 minutes long) which will summarize at least one of the issues stirring in my heart:

Now you understand? I turn on the television and Christian programming (for the most part) is filled with the feel-good, what can God do for me message that lakes the call to purity, the need for living holy and upright before the Most Holy Lord. Instead, we watch "Christian" infomercials where pastors are begging for money so they can build bigger churches, ministry centers with the latest technology and gadgets, all complete with the frills and glamorous decoration which they claim will be more "pleasing to God".

How can they do that when people in this world are lost and going to hell? How can they invest millions and millions of dollars in buildings and "empires" when there are men, women, and children who have never heard the name of Jesus or even know there is a Savior who bled and died for their sins? How can they call their ministries "Christian" when it's all about growing to be the biggest and greatest "ministry" to draw more donors with fat pockets to pour into their offering plates?

We support pastors in India for $15/month. This small donation provides food and the necessities for life for an ENTIRE family for an ENTIRE month. And, it's like pulling teeth to find people who are willing to commit to reach out to these men who have given their lives sacrificially to spread the Good News of Jesus Christ in dangerous tribal villages where the people are so incredibly lost. These men put themselves at great mortal risk by going into these areas -- the natives use witchcraft to kill people, they minister to cannibals, the walk miles through forest areas--where lions and bears are desperate for a meal--carrying microphones and a generator and sound equipment so they can preach the Gospel in a way that the entire village can hear.

I'm stirred and sickened at the same time. Not that I'm anyone special or that I know more than these big-shot preachers driving in their BMW's surrounded by body guards lest someone reach out and ask for prayer. No, that's not it at all. I'm simply stirred to adhere to the truth, to keep my heart pure, and to fix my eyes on Jesus the Messiah, the Author and Finisher of my faith.

Something has to give ... too many people believe they're "safe" and that they have their eternal destiny all wrapped up because God has favored them with nice homes, new cars, and a nice bank account. What a day it will be when the Messiah splits the Eastern sky to call His own home. I wonder if their cars and houses and bank accounts will deliver them from the wrath of God prophesied by John while exiled on the Isle of Patmos. I wonder if they'll be stirred enough then to repent and denounce their pagan belief that God wants everyone wealthy, healthy, and happy.

Oh, did I tell you I'm stirred?

Jan

No comments: