Sunday, January 20, 2008

Passion For the Unborn

Please forgive me for my obvious passion for the unborn . . . but with tomorrow (January 22) being the anniversary for the landmark court decision popularly known as Roe v. Wade, I can't think of a better time to explore the value of mankind in the eyes of a Holy and Righteous God.

"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them." (Genesis 1:27)

God created man in His own image. God values human life so much that He made us as the image of Himself. What does that mean? Go look in the mirror. What do you see? You see the image of who you are. You see the image of your person reflecting back at you. This is what God did when He created man—He made man as a reflection of Himself. Before the fall, before sin entered the world, man was the express image of God reflecting Himself. Man was perfect, sinless, and he walked daily with the Lord in the garden. There was nothing separating God from man. Go look in the mirror again – there is nothing separating you from your image. What you see is the exact image of who you are; this is the value God placed on man!

Abortion, the procedure that kills untold millions of unborn children each year, destroys the image of God! Let me say that again . . . abortion destroys the image of God! Abortion says, "The image of God is meaningless to me!" Abortion says, "The image of God is a problem that must be dealt with!" Abortion says, "The image of God is inconvenient and I have no room in my life for the image of God!"

In this country we have an ongoing battle on behalf of the unborn versus those who consider the unborn nothing but a "product of conception". In other countries, things are so much worse! For instance, in Romania 7 out of 8 babies are killed before they are born! In China, a family is allowed only one child and abortion is all too common! A medical missionary to China states that it's not uncommon to find women who have had upwards of 30 abortions because it's being used as birth control.

Genesis 4:10 give us a clue as to a voice from the earth crying out to God: "the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground." Cain slew Able and the voice of innocent blood cried out to God! Can you imagine the deafening roar of the blood of the innocents as it cries out from the earth to the Creator? It's a horrible sound that reaches the Throneroom of a Righteous and Just God!

Take some time to day. Write your legislators, call your pregnancy center and volunteer, make a plan to somehow make a difference! Get your family involved; teach your children the value of human life. Minister God's love and forgiveness to those who bear the scars of abortion. We can't just sit by and allow this atrocity to continue without stirring up some passion in us to be part of the solution to this worldwide problem! Pray and ask what you can do and then do it!

Father, forgive me! Forgive me for not doing my share to make a difference. Forgive me for not reaching out to those who are struggling with a choice they feel compelled to make. Forgive me for not becoming passionately vocal and active in the fight for the unborn. Forgive me for ignoring the problem because it doesn't really touch my life. Lord, stir up within me a righteous indignation against the murderous spirit unleashed across this world and give me a plan to do my part! Father, give me a burden to pray for the unborn like never before. Teach me how to teach my children and loved ones about the value You place on human life. Help me to put action into my passion and use me for Your glory! Give me the opportunity to minister Your forgiveness, love, and mercy to those who bear post-abortion scars. Let me feel Your passion, Father, and give me the courage to get involved. Protect the unborn, Lord, and reveal Your purpose and passion for human life to us all! In Jesus' name and by the power of His might I pray, amen!

"… for in the image of God has God made man." (Genesis 9:6b)

© 2008 Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

No comments: