Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Stirring the Heart with Oldies

My husband particularly enjoys two types of music: Bluegrass Gospel and Oldies from the 50's, 60's and early 70's. If he's working in the garden or in the garage, his favorite music offers a peaceful backdrop to his work, making it enjoyable (most of the time). There's something reminiscent about music from our past; it often seems to renew our youth, if only for a few precious moments.

Have you noticed, however, that sometimes the Holy Spirit will use a line or two from an old song to speak to us, convict us, or bring us encouragement?

As I was reading Psalm 5:3, "Dedicated to the One I Love," the song made popular in 1967 by the Mamas and the Papas as sung by Michelle Phillips, came to mind. What stirred in my heart as a result of the title phrase prompted this short devotion.

Think about your day today; is it "dedicated to the One [you] love"?

"My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up" (Psalm 5:3).

So often we take our days for granted. We wake up and immediately get involved with day's business, and very often our mind is on everything BUT the One we love.

The Psalmist made a point of dedicating his day to the Lord. In the morning when he woke up, the first thing he did was to direct his prayer to the Lord. This simple act of submission and dedication helped him keep his eyes on the Lord all the day long. Obviously, it will work the same for us.

Tomorrow when you wake up, when you first open your eyes, whisper a prayer of dedication. Put Him first in your day and you will find that He's right there in your midst all the day long. Always remember, a day not dedicated to the Lord is a day dedicated to the flesh by default. The flesh will take control; the natural man will rule unless you put the Lord in His rightful place first thing when you awaken. The choice is yours. Will your flesh rule or will the Lord rule your day?

Father, it is my desire that my days never again begin without first acknowledging You. Lord, since You are the One I love, I choose to dedicate each day to You from the very moment I awaken. And, I look forward to being even more aware of your presence with me all the day long, every day, amen.

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

No comments: